I've learned a lot about this condition through this pregnancy. For about a month now I have been "border line pre-eclampsic". Today I officially pushed over the edge. They drew labs on Monday to check my kidney function, platelets, among other things. I went to the OB today and they had the results. Apparently most of my labs came back looking great, but the kidney function lab is creeping up. They took this in the hospital and then again on Monday. And it had gone up quite a bit in a week. My doctor said she wasn't liking the trend, so she wanted me to go back to maternity triage.
I have an ultrasound tomorrow back in Des Moines, so she agreed to let me go home tonight. Tomorrow I go to the ultrasound and THEN head to maternity triage. My blood pressure is also creeping up, so they are going to take some blood pressures and draw labs again. Those will come back tomorrow night and that will determine where we go from here.
If the labs come back even more elevated they will keep me in the hospital. Probably until I deliver. She said if I were at 36 weeks they'd deliver me tomorrow. But because I'm only at 32 weeks we are trying to buy time. She wants to get me as close to 34 weeks as we can without jeopardizing my health in any way. So they'd likely monitor me at the hospital until they decided enough was enough and chose to deliver. All of that would depend on how my body held out.
If the labs come back looking somewhat ok they will probably send me home and see me at my Monday appointment.
We have made it a long way to get to 32 weeks. I've actually been feeling BETTER this week than I have in a while. Which is why I've been surprised with this turn of events. But they've also been preparing me for this since I went on bed rest, so I wasn't all that surprised. I feel like the babies could always use more time, but that they also have come a long way. At this point they'd likely spend the month in the NICU, The further my body can hold out the less time they will have there. It's just a matter of how much I can take.
At this point I'm anticipating staying in the hospital for a while, but we'll see what the labs show tomorrow. It's a scary feeling, but I knew this time was coming. Aaron and I are prepared and have been prepared for this moment. Should be interesting to see what the next few days/week holds for us.
April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment