Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

April 30, 2010

Progress!

Today when I came to the hospital they were taking off the bilirubin blankets! I was so excited. Both babies are now in open cribs. Since they are off the lights, they also got to have their IV's taken out. So, now the only wires they have are to the monitors. Those will stay until they leave the hospital. Now we are free to pick them up whenever we want and snuggle our little bugs. What a big step!!



Aiden also got circumcised today. I was really scared about that process, but he did really well. I'm glad they made me go to the lobby, because I don't think I could've handled his screams. By the time I got back in the room he was quiet as a bug and doing fine. I picked up and and cuddled him a little bit and his monitor started going off. He was gasping for breaths and it started freaking me out. The nurse was right there and she quickly picked him up and held him upright. He was breathing, but he was gasping for them. She said that it was a bit of a delayed reaction to the procedure and he was in a little bit of shock. They had obviously numbed the area before doing it, but it was likely beginning to wear off. After a minute or two his oxygen levels went back to normal and I held him again. It was almost feeding time, so I asked if I could nurse him. I knew this would calm him as well. She allowed it and I think it did help him. She said she really thought it helped to get his system back regulated some. Scary moment, but I knew he was ok.



They are saying our last step towards home is getting the feeding tubes out. We've been told they are off oxygen, in open cribs, maintaining temps, off iv's, etc. Now they need to be able to get adequate milk from feedings by mouth for 2-3 days before they can be released from the hospital. That would require either feeding him bottles or fully establishing nursing before we go home. If I chose the nursing route (which I have) that would require me staying at the hospital through the night for 2-3 days in order to give them their feedings.

Aiden is well on his way there. He has been doing great with nursing. Belle....not so much. We've been struggling. Mostly because she's always SO TIRED. She's using all her energy to keep warm and be stabilized in an open crib. She doesn't seem to have the extra energy right now to even attempt nursing at the moment. We are still attempting and if nothing else, she's getting snuggle time while tube feeding. Which is also important.



I'm so glad we are through most of our hurdles. I do think this last one will take some time. And may even mean Aiden will go home before Belle. For a nursing mom that is really difficult to have one in a different place than the other. I'm not quite sure how we'll manage, but we'll figure it out.

So, I'm thinking at some point early next week Aiden may be ready to go home. And that it may take Belle a little longer. Maybe end of next week? These are all just my guesses and estimates. We have not been told anything by the dr about a discharge time. So, we'll see if I'm right!!

No comments: